Monday, March 15, 2010

CBG, in the key of G



Finished the second cigar box guitar. I put a lot more work into the neck this time too. I'm a little more comfortable with the woodworking aspect of things now, and hope to only get better from here. I still haven't built one for myself yet, though that's next. Then I can start filling orders, which Remer was nice enough to get while being my own personal sales team.
Still working out the bugs with the headstock design, but this is certainly close. You don't think of the fact that a typical stringed-instrument's headstock is offset, and not necessarily made of one piece of wood. This design is simple, strong, and made of one piece of wood. This particular CBG was built for a coworker who gave me some parts. He's one of the "Beta testers", and will hopefully provide some constructive feedback.

Another improvement over the first one, is this one has a pickup. You can make a pickup out of just about anything as it turns out. I made this one out of a set of headphones, but you could use the piezo-electric buzzer from a smoke detector, or even a magnet and copper wire.

No comments:

Post a Comment